Thursday 29 January 2015

Why Embracing Our Kids Creativity Is So Important!




I think kids are the most creative beings around and their imagination is bustling with tons of unique and original ideas – you can hear it in the way they express themselves and tell us tales about daily events. Better yet their drawings tell us a lot more about what whimsical adventures are going on up there in their tiny (big) minds. I think poetry and storytelling is a great way to feed their creativity – plus rhyming is fun! Poetry has no rules and so it’s a great way to start your kids off writing. A lot of kids are just not that into reading for fun, what with all the gadgets about now. I think it’s so vital to get kids into thinking that poetry is not only fun but easy! And that drawing a picture or writing a poem a day is as good for them as their 5-a-day. This blog is all about books, words, poetry, reading and the occasional squiggle from some of my mini relatives every now and again.

I was prompted to start up this blog for kids because as the mother of a young black infant male, I know how important it is for me to keep him engaged in reading and writing. Previous studies have shown how a lot of children, specifically from ethnic backgrounds and low income backgrounds read less or don’t get read to at all. I noticed how much reading to my son at bed times significantly helped him improve and progress fast especially with his phonics skills. I think it’s so important to encourage our kids to read, write and draw and to also make it fun for them so it doesn’t become a chore.

If you have a child who is a budding poet or likes to tell a story or two or is artsy in any form, then I hope they’ll enjoy this site.

Each week I will post a short kids poem or story from either me of my six year old son that you can read to your child or use to help fuel your child’s imagination to help get them started on their own stuff!

Feel free to join in and send in comments of your child’s poems or stories. X

No comments:

Post a Comment